Perfect for brunch or dessert, this Double Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe was the winner of our recent "How Sweet It Is Recipe Contest and was submitted by Lisa, a personal chef in the Chicago area!
- 1 Tablespoon. butter
- 2 cups Half and Half or Heavy Cream
- 9 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 Tbsp. (divided)
- 1 cup al Gelato Chicago, Chocolate Chocolate Chip gelato, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 loaf bread, brioche or challah, cubed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar. In a medium saucepan, heat half-and-half over medium heat until just bubbling. Turn off heat and add dark chocolate. Let cool.
In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and melted gelato. Slowly add in half-and-half mixture. In a separate bowl add cubed bread and semi-sweet chocolate. Add half of liquid mixture and stir. Pour bread mixture into a prepared 9x13 baking dish and pour remaining chocolate cream on top. Cover with plastic and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake bread pudding for 30-35 minutes until the center is set. Serve warm or room temperature with your favorite flavor Al Gelato Chicago gelato.